White coating back of tongue.

Patient

Q: Hi,

I've had a white coating towards the back of my tongue for a few months now. The coating only concentrates at the back of my tongue where my uvula hangs down. It came on after my uvula became enlarged, I saw at ENT doctor about my enlarged uvula, but he wasn't overly concerned as said it wasn't anything to worry about. However since then this white coating has appeared. I thought it may be oral candidiasis and so took fluconazole for a period of 10 days, dosage of 300mg per day along with Oral Dactarin gel. However this didn't seem to have any effect on reducing the symptoms. I've read online that Oral thrush can be linked to immune system disorder and HIV. I had a negative HIV test about 1 year and 4 months ago. My question is could it be an early sign of HIV infection, my understanding is that ORAL thrush would come on after a longer period of time and be a sign of more advanced HIV. Coupled with the fact that thrush should respond well to fluconazole treatment and this didn't at all.

I'm freaking out because i have a long term girl friend. other than the white coating on my tongue there are no other symptoms. My tongue doesn't hurt and i dot have any difficulty swallowing. however i cant think what else the white coating may be?

I've attached a photo for reference.

Many thanks

Doctor