Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Who safe is long term use of NSAIDS?

Who safe is long term use of NSAIDS?

Patient: Dear Doctor, I am 73 years old and I get terrible knee pain while squatting and bending my legs. I was prescribed ETOSHINE90 and it gives me immense relief. How often can I use this drug and what are the side effects of this tablet on prolonged usage.

Doctor: Etoshine90 contains the active ingredient etoricoxib, which is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). These wor k by blocking the action of cyclo-oxygenase which is responsible in producing prostaglandins.Prostaglandins cause pain, swelling and inflammation. Etoshine is used for pain management in diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and gout. This drug has to be used in moderation in the elderly and patients with gastric ulcers and kidney disease. The side effects of the drug are bleeding due to gastric and intestinal ulceration, liver and kidney problems. Your doctor may need to monitor your kidney and liver functions when on the drug.