Whole in lip caused by tooth cutting it.

Q: My son fell and split his lip,where his tooth busted his lip it actually has a whole on the inside of his lip. my question is do i need to take him to see a Dr or will it heal itself?

Symptoms:  Whole in the left side of his upper lip

A:   Thank you for your question. Given the fact that this laceration that he sustained on his lip involves the inner surface of his lip, it is at an increased risk for infection. It is very important that you take him to the doctor to be examined, have the wound cleaned and assess whether he needs any sutures to assist in the healing process. He may also need to have the wound dressed, prevent infection from bacteria within the mouth while it heals. Please take him immediately to see a doctor.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com