Why am I having blood in my stools?

Patient : What does it mean when you have blood in your stool
Doctor :   It means several things and it will depend on the age group. More common causes of blood in the stools are haemorrhoids (internal and external), anal fissures, diverticulosis or bleeding anywhere from the stomach down to the rectum. Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis) and Amoebiasis can also present with blood in stools. For those who are >50 y.o., blood in stools is considered colon cancer until proven otherwise. In most cases, if not all, a colonoscopy should be done to rule out colorectal cancer. I do hope I have answered your question and take care always.