Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Why am I having brown discharge?

Why am I having brown discharge?

Patient: Hi am an 18 year old female. I am on my first month of birth control and I have been having brown discharge for two days, starting 9 days before my period is supposed to start. Today I got a fever of 102, chills, muscle pains, and congestion. Does the discharge have anything to do with this? I think I may have the flu. What are the reasons for this brown discharge?

Symptoms: sneezing,congestion, fever, brown vaginal discharge, muscle aches

Doctor: Brown discharge mean you are discharging old blood, mostly of previous cycle or delayed in discharge due to breakthrough bleeding if on contraceptive pills. Brownish discharge occurs due to trapped blood in vaginal canal which gets clotted and slowly discharged. It is normal if not associated with any smell or pain or any other disorders. Since you complain of fever, muscle pain rarely it could have been got infected. Consult your gynecologist for detailed examination and PAP smear if required for diagnosis and appropriate treatment.