Why am I spotting before my period?

Patient

Q: I have been on birth control for almost a years now. I switched to ortho tri cyclen lo in august and it's been great. However, I missed my first active pill but took it along with the next days pill the following day. It said I wouldn't need a backup method. I had sex during that week and we didn't use any protection because the pack said we wouldn't need it. There was also daylight savings half way through my pack. I am due for my period Tuesday, but have been spotting brown since Thursday (it's Sunday now). This has never happened before. Am I pregnant or am I spotting from missing that first pill?

Symptoms:  Spotting 5 days before my period (never happened)
Hungry and moody (typical pms)
Doctor