Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Why am I starting to have receding hairline when my father isn’t?

Why am I starting to have receding hairline when my father isn’t?

Patient: Hi doc, im Terence, 20 yrs old both side of my dad and mum’ parents have full head of hair. and my dad has a full head of hair too. but why am i noticing that i’m having hair thinning and receding hair line.

Doctor: Male pattern baldness is largely X-linked (female chromosome). This means that the genes responsible for this kind if ba ldness is on your mother’s side. Try looking at your maternal uncles, brothers of your grandmother, etc. Factors such as stress can also hasten the process of baldness. If you want this treated, you can try Minoxidil lotions. I do hope I have answered your question and take care always.