x
Browse
173 Physicians Online

Question:

Why am I still having sore throat after taking antibioitics?

Had a low grade fever and white cell count of 14,000. Just finished a round of antibiotics for 10 days. Still have a sore throat....going in to 3 weeks now. Rapid Strep was negative. Any suggestions on the sore throat lasting this long.?

Answer:

It is possible the kind of bacteria that caused your sore throat is resistant to the antibiotic you had. Rapid Strep test is also not 100% accurate. Another common cause of sore throat is GERD (reflux of acid from stomach to esophagus). Sometimes, it can reach the throat and causes irritative symptoms (cough, sore throat). Other accompanying symptoms are belching, hoarse voice, acid taste in mouth, etc. To be sure, better have it checked again by the doctor because you need to be re-evaluated and/or you may need stronger antibiotics. I do hope this helps and take care always.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA