September 23, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Why are my legs constantly in pain?

Why are my legs constantly in pain?

Patient: I have been having these painful shooting pains from my ankle to my knee for a long time now… What’s going on?

Symptoms: Shooting pains, chronic pain,

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.I can understand your concern. I know you are in deep trouble. I w ill help you to come out of this situation.There are many conditions producing this kind of pain.Varicose vein is one of that. But you don’t have persistent symptoms. It is prone in the patient which are habitual of prolonged standing.Peripheral vascular disease can produce such pain. But pain aggravates by walking some distance and relieved by rest.Muscular cramps is the other possibility or you may have some neuronal disorder. But cramps are most likely.You should go for some investigation like serum calcium level, serum b12 level and blood sugar.You can take drug like muscle relaxant which help you in the pain, you can also take analgesic with muscle relaxant which will help you. Consult your doctor and take treatment accordingly.If you still have doubt then you can go for color Doppler test. It will help you.Please send me all reports so I can help you further.Hope I have answered your question, if you have doubt then I will be happy to answer.

Patient: Also, to add to my question, I had a sports injury about three years back (severe ankle sprain) could this pain be related to that? Or has it not healed properly?

Doctor: I suppose the pain is bilateral and the injury would have been unilateral.
Am I right ?