Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Why can’t I loose my stomach fat?

Why can’t I loose my stomach fat?

Patient: I am a 26-year-old male, working in the construction field so I am physically active daily and eat well. I have built muscle in my upper chest, arms and legs, but seem to keep fat in my stomach no matter how active or healthy I am. How can I rid this quicker?

Symptoms: No symptoms, feel perfectly healthy

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Excess abdominal fat can be very difficult to lose. It requires adhering to a strict diet, removing as much processed foods and refined sugar as you possibly can. Your exercise routine should be incorporating sessions of high intensity aerobic exercise (as tolerated). But the most important aspect of this is diet. Try designing a diet that is well balanced, full of whole foods, green leafy vegetables, and lean protein. You should try to calculate how many calories you need each day and try to to exceed them. One way of doing this is calculating your basal metabolic rate (BMR). There are many BMR calculators which can be found online. Besides this natural way of losing belly fat, there are more invasive methods, such as liposuction. This is a cosmetic surgical procedure to remove excess fat from the abdomen through a small incision. We hope this helps.Thank you for consulting AskTHeDoctor.com