Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Why cosmetic surgeries are contraindicated while on treatment with Isotretinoin for acne?

Why cosmetic surgeries are contraindicated while on treatment with Isotretinoin for acne?

Patient: Hi, I’ve been suffering acne for six years, and my doctor perscribed me ?ISOTRETINOIN capsules to treat it. Its working very well and I’m happy with my result, BUT he said I am not able to do any cosmetic surgery (Botox) during the treatment and not after one year that I stop taking the pill. I’m not sure why, I need some answers.

Doctor: Hello,Your doctor has rightly warned you. The reason is that Isotretinoin, unlike other medicines remains in the body for a very long time. During this period skin is very sensitive and healing due to any injury during procedure is delayed. Many skin procedures like dermabrasion, peeling ,dermarollers etc should be avoided. The Botox is injected inside the muscles ,so it can be given.Hope you got me.Regards

Patient: So, you mean I can inject botox while i’m on this medication? my doctor said something about effecting my hormone if I do cosmetic surgery during the treatment, is that true? I forgot what he said.

Doctor: Yes Botox can be used with or after Isotretinoin. Botox has it’s own side effects ,but not related to hormones

Patient: Alright. So I assume it’s fine for me to take other supplements like zinc, vitamin B, celery (seed) 3000 for arthristis while taking Isotretinoin ?

Doctor: Yes you can take all except Vitamin A

Patient: All right, thanks very much.

Doctor: You are welcome .
Regarfs