Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Why do I have shoulder pains when i throw?

Why do I have shoulder pains when i throw?

Patient: Why do I have shoulder pain?I’m a 14 year old girl who plays quarterback in football and in the past 5-6 months I’ve had a lot of bad pains in my shoulder when I throw. Even in gym class when we play dodge ball my shoulder will pop and crack, the pain well last for 3-4 days.

Symptoms: Neck pain, headaches

Doctor: Thank you for your question. You have possibly developed an injury to the rotator cuff of your shoulder. This is a very common injury to persons engaging in sports that requires throwing such as football. Given your young age, it is important that you promptly have this examined by your doctor to make sure there are no tears to the muscles or tendons of the rotator cuff. We recommend that you refrain from any physical activity until you have this examined by your doctor. You may need to have an MRI of your shoulder to assist in determining the extent of your shoulder injury. Treatment may include refraining from sports and undergoing physiotherapy treatment of your shoulder.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com