Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Why do I need to take Flowmax?

Why do I need to take Flowmax?

Patient: I was having trouble urinating. It would take forever to start a stream and then it would just be a dribble. Flowmax has helped. I don’t understand what is going on to cause this.

Doctor: Flomax (tamsulosin) belongs to a group of drugs called alpha-adrenergic blockers and is usually given if someone has an symptoms from an enlarged prostate. Flomax relaxes the muscles in the prostate and bladder neck, making it easier to urinate. I would suggest that you speak to your doctor regarding your prostate and to also rule out any complication from the polycystic kidney disease that may be causing decreased urine output which ma include urinary tract infections and kidney stones.