Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Why do my feet ache when I stand up?

Why do my feet ache when I stand up?

Patient: When I get up after sitting for a while, I find it very painful to walk. This does not happen when I get out of bed in the morning, but gets progressively worse during the day. If I go for a long walk and then sit down for even a few minutes, I have to hobble when I stand up. It usually only lasts for a minute or two, but sometimes can last longer. My feet are always hot, but not sure that’s connected to the problem. I am about 5-7 kg overweight according to my BMI.

Doctor: It is a very well known fact that the sustained overweight and lack of exercise can cause problems in the weight bearing joints like ankles, Knees, Hips and also Lumbar Spine, this seems to be happening with your feet. The suggested strategy in your case should be: consult a nutritionist or dietitian to help you to loose weight and combine the prescribed diet along with a consistent exercise routine, for example 30 minute walking every day at your own pace. For the pain management: you can take anti inflammatory medication (“Aleve”, “Motrin”). As soon as you begin to loose weight, the pain should decrease.