Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Why do my fingers feel like needles are poking them

Why do my fingers feel like needles are poking them

Patient: Why do my fingers feel like needles are poking them every time I go to bed? I’m a 54 year old male who is very active and 165 lbs. I smoke and do not do drugs or drink. This has been going on for about 4 months

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query.Noted the history of fingers feel like needles are poking them every time you go to bed a nd you smoke.This is going on for 4 months.The feeling of pin-pricks in fingers is suggestive of a neurological problems.The probable reasons are local – peripheral neuropathy which can be the result of diabetes, use of tobacco in the form of smoking,This can be due to the nerve entrapment at the spinal level down the course of the nerves.You may please consult a Neurologist for clinical evaluation, investigations and proper treatment.You have to stop tobacco in any form including smoking.Rest of the medicines will be as per the results of clinical examination and reports of lab and MRI of the cervical spine.Hope this helps you.