Why do people hug each other?

Patient

Q: Why do people hug each other? Is this an emotional thing? Is it good to hug someone and rub their back?

Symptoms:  Hugging
Doctor

Thanks for choosing "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
Every culture has ways to express closeness and love and hugging is one such expression which we humans have adopted across the cultures.
It's ok to hug and rub their back if it's culturally acceptable and others are doing it. But if ever visit a less developed country where hugging each other is not so common, then it is better to avoid. So your expression depends on the local cultural acceptance.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!