Why do u have pregnancy symptoms after taking plan B?

Patient

Q: Why do u have pregnancy symptoms after taking plan B?

Doctor

A:   Hi,
Thanks for the query at ATD.

Plan -b is an emergency contraceptive pill can be taken within 72 hrs immediately after unprotected sex.

Plan-b is 95% effective if taken within 24 hours, so failure rate is also there.

As it contains high doses of hormone in it, it may cause pregnancy like symptoms like nausea, vomiting, headache etc. The symptoms may mimic pregnancy. If your home pregnancy test showing negative, then you may ignore and wait for the withdrawal bleeding. If the menstrual is delayed, you may take a blood hCG test.

Hope found useful, feel free to ask more information.

Good luck.

Patient: How long do the symptoms last normally?
Doctor: Hi,
It may last for one month usually but symptoms may persist for as long as 3menstrual cycle but not pregnancy like symptoms, they are usually period disturbances.
So you should wait and watch for your menses and if symptoms persist and you will not resume your menses than get your home urine pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy.
Hope found useful.
Good luck.