Why do you have to wait 14 days after receiving hep B injection to donate plasma

Patient

Q: Why do you have to wait 14 days after receiving a Hepatitis B shot before you can donate plasma?

Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

We mostly donate plasma to patients who have low hemoglobin, or suffer from some serious life threatening disease. So their immunity status is not very good when they are receiving blood products.

If you take the hepatitis shot, it can cause a subclinical infection in you, and when you donate plasma, you invariably transmit the hepatitis components to the receiver that you got from the vaccine. For you, your immunity will be able to counter and mount an antibody response. But for the receiver, it can cause a serious infection.
So, it is advisable you wait for 2 weeks, by which the antibodies have already formed in your serum.

Hope this was helpful,