x
194 Physicians Online

Question:

Why does it sting when I pee?

I'm a 14 year old girl. For the past 3 weeks, whenever i urinate it stings. It went away for a couple of days, but then came back. Whenever i stand up or walk around, i have the urge to pee. Please help me, i'm desperate for this to stop!

Answer:

Burning or stinging sensation upon peeing is a common symptom of urethritis (inflammed urethra – passageway of urine). If you have been sexually active, it is very important to wash the genitalia after intercourse. In women, more so in men, urinary tract infections are common. You may try drinking lots of cranberry juice. It has an effect of detaching the bacteria from the urethra. However, I strongly suggest for you to see a doctor since a urine test, and probably antibiotics, may be needed. Do not take this condition lightly because if it is left untreated, it can potentially invade upstream (urinary bladder up to the kidney) or the blood. I hope this helps and take care.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA