Why does my back hurt

Patient: It started with lower back pain a few months ago (not sure if it happend falling down the stairs or randomly) i would cough or sneeze and get a pain in the middle if my lower back. Now i have hip and knee pain to, knee pain almost reminds me of the feeling of an infection. I got an xray of my back it came back fine. What could this be

Symptoms: Pain in lower back especially when i cough, sneeze or bend. Hips hurt sometimes burning sensation. Knees hurt to bend or straighten

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that your fall down the stairs may have caused you to sustain a lower back i njury which is causing irritation to the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is a large nerve that that is comprised of nerve branches originating in the lower back. It is possible that you may have sustained a minor herniation to one of the intervertebral discs of your lower back which is placing pressure on the sciatic nerve, leading to your pain. Sometimes, herniated discs are quit difficult to visualize on x ray imaging, any may be best assessed with an MRI. We would like to suggest that you return to your doctor to be assessed, and have and MRI of your lumbar spine. This will help your doctor assess the extent of your injury. In the meantime, please avoid any heavy lifting, bending, or strenuous physical exercise which could exacerbate your pain. You may also consider taking some oral analgesic medication such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen provided you are not allergic to assist in easing your pain.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com