Why does my heart rate get so high while running?

Patient

Q: Why does my heart rate get so high while running? I've been working out for years, running, spinning and kick boxing. I noticed that when I run my heart rate spikes to 180 sometimes. I don't feel any discomfort. I am 35 years old, 5'4 135 pounds. I do suffer from anxiety and sinus allergies. Should I be concerned?

Doctor

A:   Hi,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. It is usual to have increased heart rate when running however spikes reaching 180 can be abnormal.

2. Anxiety can be one of the triggers for sudden increase in heart rate. At the same time it is important to evaluate your heart at rest and under stress.

3. It is highly recommended that you consult a cardiologist with your symptoms and get tested for heart function under exercise induced condition that includes a treadmill test, echocardiography and EKG. Doing a 24 hour heart rate and rhythm monitoring can also be requested.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Regards,