Why does my husband chew like he's eating in his sleep

Patient

Q: Why does my husband chew like he's eating in his sleep? Like...smacking his lips loudly and chewing to where I can hear him bite down over and over! Lol (He's not griding his teeth)...he snores a little and randomly coughs too?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

What you are talking about is known as bruxism. It is a normal phenomenon that happens in up to 1 in 3 people.

Bruxism is part of the sleep cycle and occurs in the second part of sleep. It is possible that the chewing or biting sounds you are hearing are along with the sounds of grinding.

As long as the problem is not causing wear and tear or teeth, it should be fine. If you suspect any wear and tear, please talk to a Doctor as soon as possible. I hope this helps you. All the best.