Why have I had a UTI for 3 months now?

Patient

Q: Why have I had a UTI for 3 months now? I have been going back and forth to the restroom every 5 minutes it will go away and then come back and sometimes smell what can I do I need your help it's very irritating

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to Ask The Doctor.

Frequency of urination is common in UTI and in some, recurrent UTI is very bothersome. Treatment is now available to reduce or prevent recurrence. Bacteria are responsible in most cases and there are medications available to prevent the bacteria from attaching to the wall of the urinary tract. Please consult your doctor for specific treatment towards cure and also to prevent recurrence. A urologist's opinion may be necessary.

Hope this helps.