Why is an MRI Arthrogram Performed?

Patient

Q: Why is sn MRI Arthrogram done? I have been instructed by my orthopedic doctor to have the MRI done of my shoulders.

Doctor

A:   An arthrogram is a series of images done after injection of a contrast medium. The injection is normally done under local anesthesia.  The joint can be imaged from many angles or on a slice by slice basis in CT and MRI scans. The physician assesses the images produced.
Shoulder arthrography can be used to study rotator cuff tears. The procedure can also define abnormalities of the glenoid labrum and biceps tendon and sheath.