Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Why is my period late if I’ve never had sex

Why is my period late if I’ve never had sex

Patient: Why is my period late if I’ve never had sex and I haven’t been with anyone not even kissing since before my last period? I know school and having a job are stressful but I eat well and exercise daily… So why is it late and when will it come?

Symptoms: Late period

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.There are many causes for a delay in cycles other than pregnancy like thyroid hormone dysfunction, anemia, nutritional deficiencies, obesity, stress, vitamin deficiencies, sudden weight loss, chronic illness or infection.Polycystic ovaries are a common cause for delayed cycles among young women.Kindly consult a gynecologist for an examination and specific investigations and treatment.Hope this was helpful.Regards