Why is my upper knee vastus mediallis muscle tight

Patient

Q: Why is my upper knee vastus mediallis muscle tight and swollen?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Did you injure the muscle or the area. If you think you have a soft tissue injury, please try the RICE regimen to help you.

RICE stands for:
Rest. Rest the leg and stop exercising to help you to prevent the swelling and pain
Ice the area for 15 mins daily to help to reduce the swelling
Compress the area by using a crepe bandage or a knee sleeve to help you
Elevate the leg by placing it on top of 2 pillows to help to reduce the swelling.

Hope this helps you. See a Doctor if the swelling is not down in 3 days. All the best.