Why should deli meats be avoided in pregnancy?

Patient : I have heard it is unsafe to eat deli meats while pregnant. Should I avoid eating a deli made turkey sandwich?
Doctor :   Precooked deli meats should be avoided in pregnancy because these products may have Listeria, which can cause Listeriosi s. Listeriosis is one of the known causes of spontaneous abortions (miscarriages) and stillbirths. Reheating these products until they are steaming hot will be enough to kill the bacteria. You may avoid these products for now. If you can’t resist it, at least reheat them and have it in moderation. I do hope this helps and take care always.