x
160 Physicians Online

Question:

Why should deli meats be avoided in pregnancy?

I have heard it is unsafe to eat deli meats while pregnant. Should I avoid eating a deli made turkey sandwich?

Answer:

Precooked deli meats should be avoided in pregnancy because these products may have Listeria, which can cause Listeriosis. Listeriosis is one of the known causes of spontaneous abortions (miscarriages) and stillbirths. Reheating these products until they are steaming hot will be enough to kill the bacteria. You may avoid these products for now. If you can’t resist it, at least reheat them and have it in moderation. I do hope this helps and take care always.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA