Wife has HPV

Patient: My wife for 35 years tells me that her pap smear was positive for Genital HPV. I’m not sure what type my wife has. On her doctors request she approached me in regard to extra marital relationships. Our declaration to each other was that there were and are not any other sexual relations outside of our marriage. Her Pap test 12 years back evidently showed Genital HPV. Two questions: 1.) Are there any other means of contracting Genital HPV other than sexual activities? 2.) Should I be tested for Genital HPV?

Doctor: HPV is passed on through genital contact, not necessarily by having intercourse.HPV may also be passed on during oral se x and genital to genital contact. HPV can be passed on between straight and same sex partners even when the infected partner has no signs or symptoms.Another important point about this virus is that a person can have HPV even if years have passed since he or she had sexual contact with an infected person. Most infected persons do not realize they are infected or that they are passing the virus on to a sex partner.I would suggest you to also check for the presence of this virus. However HPV usually goes away on its own, without causing health problems. So an HPV infection that is found today will most likely not be there a year or two from now. I wish you the best.