Will a baby suffer withdrawal if mother uses meth

Patient : Will a baby suffer withdrawal if mother uses meth for first half of pregnancy
Doctor :   Hi, Thanks for the query. I understand your concern. Methamphetamine belongs to category C drugs in pregnancy, m eans animal studies have demonstrated few adverse effects on fetus whereas sufficient human studies are lacking. Because of the lack of sufficient human studies, it is difficult to comment regarding the effect of drug on the fetus. According to available data methamphetamine may lead to small for gestational age babies, heart and brain abnormalities in babies, premature delivery, abruptio placenta etc complications. So regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations are mandatory to monitor the wellbeing of the baby. Take care.