Will a small lipoma go away?

Patient

Q: Can a small lipoma go away? its on the lower right side of my abdomen

Symptoms:  Can a small lipoma go away?
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question.
Lipoma's are non-cancerous tumors comprised of fat that can develop beneath the surface of the skin. They can increase in size and eventually become painful requiring surgical removal. in some cases, it is possible for lipomas to resolve on their own. However, there is no telling as to when and if this will occur. If you would like this to be removed, we recommend that you have a doctor examine the area. If you would like to have it removed, it can be done within the doctor's office under local anesthesia of the area. Please follow up with your doctor.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com