Will accutane stunt my growth?

Patient

Q: Can accutane stunt growth? I am 15 years old and probably not done growing. I just started accutane. 40mg a day for 8 weeks. Will this affect my growth?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Isotretinoin (Accutane) is a medication commonly used yo treat severe acne. According to current drug information, isotretinoin can cause growth retardation in younger teens as it can slow the growth of long bones. If you ate concerted about this then it is best that you contact your doctor to find a safer alternative.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com