Will azithromycin work in UTI?

Patient

Q: I think I have a UTI, I have the typical burning when I urinate and the occasional sensation to go to the bathroom. I have just experienced these symptoms so I caught it early. Would using any of the Azo products possibly get rid of the UTI or just make it so I wouldn't be experiencing any of the symptoms?

Doctor

A:   Azithromycin may be beneficial in cases of gonococcal urethritis or infection caused by chlamydia. However uncomplicated cystitis may be better managed with bactrim, ciprofloxacin or augmentin. I would advise you to consult your doctor and get a urinalysis. You should start treatment only in the presence of infection.