Will birth control pills harm the fetus?

Patient

Q: Hi, so i just found out that i am pregnant and my mom had me get the depo shot for the first time and i didnt no i was pregnant and ive been taking the birth control pills for a while, will this cause me to have a miscairge or have my baby have birth defects? ive only took the shot wonce and have not tooken it science

Doctor

A:   There is no conclusive evidence that a brief exposure to the artificial hormones contained in hormonal birth controls will cause harm to an unborn child. It is generally advised that you stop using this type of birth control if a pregnancy is suspected.