x
181 Physicians Online

Question:

Will Cement Dust cause Injury to My Lungs?

Hey, Pete here from Ireland, Hope your well. I have a question regarding my workout area? I have a home gym inside my shed,I attached photo's. The shed is small but contains concrete floor. Everytime a weight hits the ground a small bit of cement dust raises from the concrete floor. Now I must say the shed is small and I always work out with the doors open and window open...Most of the time I'm practically next to the open doors so do I have a chance in damaging my lungs with concrete cement dust? Also the shed roof is made from felt is that dangerous? I've been working out there for 2 years now and have a small rash on my chest but this could be unrelated. Please let me know that you could view the pictures I sent. Thanks very much for your time, Peter

Answer:

Thank you Pete for your question. It is not often that I receive queries about cement dust and I do appreciate your concern about the cement dust causing you harm in the long term. Cement dust contains crystalline silica that after long-term inhalation may lead to a chronic lung disease known as silicosis. Though the levels of dust may be small in your gym, the risk of silicosis cannot be ruled out. I would suggest you to use rubber matting or carpets to decrease the concrete dust due to the falling weights. Hope the information helps, take care.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA