x
188 Physicians Online

Question:

Will Cement Dust cause Injury to My Lungs?

Hey, Pete here from Ireland, Hope your well. I have a question regarding my workout area? I have a home gym inside my shed,I attached photo's. The shed is small but contains concrete floor. Everytime a weight hits the ground a small bit of cement dust raises from the concrete floor. Now I must say the shed is small and I always work out with the doors open and window open...Most of the time I'm practically next to the open doors so do I have a chance in damaging my lungs with concrete cement dust? Also the shed roof is made from felt is that dangerous? I've been working out there for 2 years now and have a small rash on my chest but this could be unrelated. Please let me know that you could view the pictures I sent. Thanks very much for your time, Peter

Answer:

Thank you Pete for your question. It is not often that I receive queries about cement dust and I do appreciate your concern about the cement dust causing you harm in the long term. Cement dust contains crystalline silica that after long-term inhalation may lead to a chronic lung disease known as silicosis. Though the levels of dust may be small in your gym, the risk of silicosis cannot be ruled out. I would suggest you to use rubber matting or carpets to decrease the concrete dust due to the falling weights. Hope the information helps, take care.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.