Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Will clarithromycin affect my birth control pills effectivness?

Will clarithromycin affect my birth control pills effectivness?

Patient: Will clarithromycin affect my birth control pills effectivness? I use TriciraLo28 (Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol Tablets)

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.According to the latest guidance from the Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare, there are no proved studies regarding the decreased efficacy of contraceptive pills while taking antibiotics like clarithromycin.So, you can use both the drugs simultaneously.If you want to be on the safe side, better to use additional contraceptive measures like condoms during the period of usage of clarithromycin.Hope this helps.Take care.