Will E-cigarette harm my 10-12 week pregnant baby?

Patient

Q: Hi I'm about 10- 12 weeks pregnant and I wanted to know if an e cig will harm my unborn child can you help me answer this

Doctor

A:   E-cigarette may or may not contain nicotine, but it does contain vapors of other chemicals like propylene glycol or nitrosamines or formaldehyde. The effect of these toxins on the fetus has not been studied. Some of these chemicals can be toxic and can even produce cancer. Therefore it is better to avoid smoking during pregnancy. It is harmful to the fetus and also in some cases may lead to miscarriages, or a preterm delivery etc. In fact smoking is more harmful than alcohol intake.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.