Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Will everyday washing your body damage the skin?

Will everyday washing your body damage the skin?

Patient: Hi dr I’ve been reading on the Internet about how showering everyday washing your body is bad for your skin I take showers everyday and my skin is fine does it depend on the type of body wash soap used to dry out skin hope you can answer this question for me some say it’s bad others say won’t hurt your skin

Doctor: It is really difficult to answer your question. Of late there have been some studies that excessive washing removes lipi d, oil and certain good bacterias of the skin that protect against infection. It may be too premature for me to say that daily bathing is harmful to the skin. However you may use some precautions to help minimize developing dry skin, especially after bathing.i) Make sure that your shower wash contains moisturizing ingredients.ii) Do not take shower in hot scalding water.iii) Consider limiting the time spent in the shower. spending too much time in the shower can also dry out your skin.iv) Try to avoid using bar soap to wash your face or body. Bar soap is highly alkaline so it is very drying.v) Immediately after exiting the shower and drying off and apply a rich moisturizer.I hope I have answered your question, take care.