Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Will I Get the Flu? Probabilities…

Will I Get the Flu? Probabilities…

Patient: Hello,My sister came down with the flu (confirmed Influenza A from her doctor) just under two weeks before Christmas. She recovered the saturday before Christmas. I share a room with her, had close contact with her the day before she had a fever, and did not develop the flu.My father went to the doctor today with a 102 fever and confirmed influenza a, also. This today being January 2.I am wondering my chances of getting the flu. My sister and I got the shots this year while my dad did not. Is my immune system strong enough?We were staying at my dads New Years Eve through today and are now at my moms house. The last time I saw him was this morning.THANK YOU

Symptoms: No symptoms yet hopefully

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you may have been exposed to the influenza virus from both your sister and you father. Given the fact you were immunized with the inluenza vaccine, it is possible that your risk of contracting the influenza virus is low. This does not mean you may not develop the illness. If you develop symptoms of headache, fever, or body aches please see your doctor immediately to start antiviral treatment. This medication is most effecting within the first 24 hours of symptoms of influenza, thus it is imperative that you seek medical attention immediately if you develop symptoms.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com