Will I grow taller?

Patient

Q: Will I grow taller at age 13? My period started a year ago

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Height is primarily determined by genetic inheritance from your parents, with minor contributing factors including nutrition, and environment. At 13, females are going through the process of puberty, and during this time, you will notice many changes in the body and will experience some growth. How much taller you will grow is difficult to determine however, at your age it is expected that you will continue to grow up to the age of 18-20, when the epiphyseal plates (growth plates) in your long bones (i.e. legs) fuse, preventing continued growth.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com