Will i lose weight like this

Patient

Q: Im going to do the atkins diet with my friend. I want to lose weight... around twenty- thirty pounds. Some people say the diet works for them others say they just gain all the weight back. I want to use the diet to get to my goal weight and eventually switch to just counting calories. Will i still gain all the weight back by counting calories (still eating healthy foods with just a bit more carbs)? I don't want to be on the diet for the rest of my life. I will also add in exercise like I am already doing. I love bread too much to give it up. Will this plan work?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is possible that you can loose a considerable amount of weight by following a carbohydrate restricted diet, such as Atkins. However, if you were to deviate from this diet, it is indeed possible to regain some if not all of the weight. A better approach is a balanced exercise and diet plan that can be sustained, without affecting your energy levels, and provides you with adequate nutrition. Healthy weight loss is considered to be around 1-2 lbs per week. This can be easily achieved with diet and exercise, and by cutting out all processed foods and refined sugar from your diet. This approach seems to work best for long term results. In order to design a diet and exercise regimen that is best suited for your body type and weight loss goals, we would recommend that you consult a personal trainer/dietician who can perform and assessment and design a plan best suited for you. Before starting any diet or exercise plan, please consult your doctor.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com