Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Will I need any type of Knee replacement after a Meniscectomy in the future?

Will I need any type of Knee replacement after a Meniscectomy in the future?

Patient: Good Morning Dr. I just recently had a meniscectomy,due to a work related accident and i am receiving various information about the long term effects. The operation was a bit more than the Dr. originally thought and he had to take out the inner meniscus on my left leg. My questions is what is will i eventually need a partial knee replacement, and is it a definite that i will develop some form of arthritis?

Doctor: You had a meniscectomy due to an accidental injury; this does not mean that you have more chance of having degenerative e changes (Osteoarthritis) in the knee joint that later on will require a knee replacement. You are young and at this point you have the same chance than anybody else to develop Osteoarthritis in the knee. Osteoarthritis is one of the main indications for a knee replacement; this is a degenerative disease that involves the whole joints, affecting not only the bones but ligaments, joint lining and joint cover (capsule) and also involves a progressive loss of cartilage. Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common articular disease worldwide, affecting over 20 million individuals in the United States alone. If you follow a proper physical therapy program after your meniscectomy, keep your weight under control and do not over stress your knee joints, then you will be minimizing the chances to require in the future a knee replacement.