Will Medroxyprogesterone work if pregnant?

Q: I have a question about pregnancy. I had sex on May 17,2014. After three or four I felt kind of sick for a week but I went too the doctor on May 28, 2014 & took a blood pregnancy test & it came back negative. My doctor prescribe me medroxyprogesterone 10mg for 5 days because I have irregular periods . I took the medicine as describe and had a period June 4, 2014 which spotting then on June 5, 2014 - June 9, 2014 I had a full and heavy period . In July I took the medicine again too have another period. It started July 10, 2014 - July 14, 2014 . My question is would medroxyprogesterone work if I was pregnant?

Symptoms:  Shoulder pain, headaches, left ovary pain.

A:   Thank you for your query.
Medroxyprogesterone is a class of medications called as progestins which resemble progesterone hormone produced naturally in the body. They are generally prescribed to treat abnormal menstruation, or irregular vaginal bleeding or to regularize the menstrual pattern. It also prevents over growth of the lining of uterus by bringing about transformational changes in the lining. In case of a pregnancy it usually supports the pregnancy. But on stopping the pill suddenly it may lead to a hormonal imbalance & cause bleeding or disturb the pregnancy incase of a pregnant woman.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.

Patient: Medroxyprogesterone can support pregnancy but will it still cause a period or it won't cause one if you pregnant , it will just help support it.?