Will my acne come back after accutane?

Q: I took accutane for 3 months and now im on toriac I never had extremely bad cyctic acne. What are the chances my acne will come back?

A:   Medications for acne reduce the oiliness of the skin, shrink the sebaceous glands thereby decreasing the sebum secretion and other problems that give rise to severe acne. However after completion of the treatment the sebaceous glands tend to grow back very very slowly and by the time, you may outgrow your tendency to acne with more stabilization of the hormonal and other factors that contribute to the formation of acne.  Avoiding fat-laden junk foods and maintaining skin hygiene is important. You may use a mild cleansing agent to wash down the entire face and regular shampooing of hair would decrease your chances of acne.