Will my birth control be effective ?

Patient

Q: I am on birth control Junel Fe 1/20. I took my last active pill last Monday and got my period on Thursday. I also finished taking a week regimen of Cephalexin on Friday. I start my new birth control pack tomorrow (Tuesday). Will my birth control still be effective?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.
Since you finished taking the antibiotic before the start of the new course of antibiotic it will not have any effect on the birth control pill regimen.Just to be on the safer side it is always advisable to use extra mode of protection during the first seven days of the start of the new pack.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.