Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Will these medicines interact

Will these medicines interact

Patient: I’ve just found out I’m pregnant and I’m on 50mg sertraline is it safe to take pregnacare original vitamins with this medication?

Symptoms: None

Doctor: Hello,As it is found that you are pregnant and it seems that it is an unplanned pregnancy, so if you wish to continue the pregnancy then any form of antipsychotic medication like sertraline should not be used during the early months or first trimester of pregnancy as the chances for congenital anomalies are increased with their use.Ideally , you should visit your physician to weigh risks over benefits of continuation of the drug in pregnancy and if possible stop it and continue with folic acid tablets or pregnancare till 14 week of gestation.Please visit your physician to discuss the continuation of sertraline and take an informed decision.I hope i have answered your query,wishing you good health,regards