Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Will Tonsillectomy Affect My Immune System

Will Tonsillectomy Affect My Immune System

Patient: When I was 15, I had an emergency appendectomy. For the following few years, I got sick all the time with the flu, and digestive issues. And now, at age 19, my tonsils have been acting up. The doctors say it isn’t strep or mono, and they aren’t sure what’s wrong, but if I get this swelling again, they will have to take my tonsils out. So my question is, will having my tonsils removed further worsen my immune system and cause more issues?

Doctor: While the tonsils do from part of the immune system, their absence does not increase the likelihood of developing an inf ection.