Will Zolocoft and Viagra affect fertility?

Patient

Q: I have recently been prescribed Zoloft and viagra. My wife and I are planning to start a family in the near future; after Christmas this year. Will this affect my sperm? Will me taking Zoloft and viagra cause my sperm to pass horrible deformities?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.
Antidepressants or using Zoloft can cause significant reduction in sperm concentration, motility and morphology of the spermatozoa. They can lead to increased DNA fragmentation in the sperms. This effect becomes evident by the first month after treatment and begins to have major impact after 3 months of use. These drugs affect the motility of the spermatozoa there by decreasing its fertilization potential. But some studies also have shown that the semen parameters can return to normal after stopping the usage. What is important is it takes ~ 75 days for a complete spermatogenesis cycle therefore ~ 3-4 months after stopping the usage of the drugs the couple could plan for a pregnancy.
Hope that answers your query.
Have a good day.