Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > With a history of asthma, bronchitis, and other lung issue,

With a history of asthma, bronchitis, and other lung issue,

Patient: With a history of asthma, bronchitis, and other lung issue, would it be normal to have pressure like shortness of breath. I’m 26 years old. Sometimes I feel like I’m short of breath. Like my diaphragm isn’t expanding enough.

Doctor: Thank you for writing to Ask The DoctorYes, it is possible to have shortness of breath in these symptoms. In the dis eases you have described there is reduced amount of exchange of air. This can be because of blockage of the airways in asthma and bronchitis; and the accumulation of fluid in pulmonary edema.This will not allow you to take deep breaths. Not being able to take a deep breath can make it feel as though you have a problem with the diaphragm. I recommend that you see a Doctor.If you have bronchitis or asthma, you can manage it with bronchodilators that will prevent the difficulty in breathing. Pulmonary edema if present is treated by counteracting reasons for the fluid accumulation.I hope this helps you. All the best.