Withdrawal Symptoms After Stopping Celexa

Patient

Q: Side effects on stopping celexa or missing a couple days dose? when waking up i experience a sensation in my head, like a rubber band snapping or a door shutting, this will continue to happen every few minutes as I go in and out of dosing and stops if i get up.

Doctor

A:   I do understand your concern, your symptoms may be due to SSRI withdrawal syndrome that presents with various neurological symptoms that may include headache, gastrointestinal distress, faintness and strange sensations of vision or touch. Discontinuation symptoms typically arise within days after stopping the medication, particularly if it was stopped abruptly. I would suggest that you do not stop taking celexa on your own and talk to your doctor regarding the symptoms of SSRI withdrawal.