Wondering if I could be pregnant

Patient : Hi I have a question about pregnancy. I had surgery in August to see if I had endometrosis and polycystic ovaries but instead my surgeon found a growth on one of my fallopean tubes and removed it. I was supposed to get my period the first week in Sept but I only spotted a brown color and it was only a drop every day for about a week. I had light cramps along with the brown spotting. Then I was due to have my period again near the end of the month in Sept, but never got it. The doctor released me to be sexually active the week after surgery and my husband and I did and we were quite active. I have been taking home pregnancy tests but everytime I test it's negative but I have symptoms of pregnancy. So my question is do I test from when I missed my period or from when I spotted?
Symptoms:  I have been experiencing being tired, nausea, being sensitive to smells, craving salty foods, my belly is growing, etc